Sunday, December 13, 2009

Yummy Alpaca Handspun!



Well, I finally finished spinning and plying one skein of Raw Alpaca. I set the twist friday night and left the yarn to hang in the basement stairway to dry until this morning. The pictures just do not do this yarn any real justice. I just can't stop touching it. It is soooooooo soft! I am knitting a manly scarf for a Christmas trade and I just know that I will have to spin up some more of this fiber to knit something else because it is just so YUMMY!

I purchased 5lbs of this raw alpaca at the Farmers Market in Athens MI, and I wasn't sure what I was going to do with it. I bought a pair of hand carders at a garage sale, I got a great deal on them ($25) and I used them to hand card this fiber for spinning, AND, I spun it all up on a drop spindle. I have been dreaming of buying a spinning wheel, but it will probably be a while before I can purchase one, so until then it takes several days to spin and ply and set the twist on a skein this size. This skein is 186 yds of yarn, and I still have to measure it on the yarn gauge for WPI to find out the weight. I want to say it is a worsted weight.

Right now I plan to sit down with a cup of tea and wrap the yarn into a center pull ball, and then CO for the scarf and spend the day knitting.


No comments: